Monday, September 5, 2016

We Still Have Work To Do

Hey all!
As you may be aware, we've been busily preparing ourselves for the big move to Northern Cali.

We packed all our winter clothes (hooray for no more Logan winters!), we sold all our furniture in our front room, packed up most of our kitchen and let the landlady know we'd be out in September. Well, we have an announcement. We have to unpack the winter clothes. We're staying in Logan for one more quarter.
There were a lot of thought and prayer that went into this decision, and ultimately we felt like we still have work to do here in Logan. It was a hard decision and Lindsay was a little bummed but such is life. We just have to have faith and follow God's plan for us. :)

In other news, this week was not the greatest.
First, we exploded hot bone broth all over our new car. Such a waste of precious broth and we're super scared the stains won't come out. Much sadness. Seconds after the broth exploded, Lindsay was running in the leaky broth container, Addison threw the keys to her and in an epic fail/miss, the keys landed on the step and exploded. Batteries and buttons flew everywhere into the grass. We were already running late to work and now we had to frantically search through the grass to find all the pieces. Good news though, we were able to find all parts and put the key back together.
A couple days later, Lindsay dislocated her knee at work. Story time: I just got a new anti-fatigue mat at my desk that morning. It was cushy and nice, but a little sticky. A timer went off notifying me I had to go help a patient out of traction. As I turned to go and help, my shoe stuck to the mat. My body went and my knee didn't and the patella completely dislocated. I crashed to the ground, but fortunately my training kicked and I was able to protect my head. My coworker was working next to me and yelled out. All I could do was weakly hand her the timer and tell her to help the patient while I lied sprawled across the floor breathing deeply while I embraced the pain. The patient got out and walked to the desk asking how I was doing. I waived her on saying I was fine and to have a good weekend. Embarrassing. My coworker ran and grabbed me some ice and frantically tried to find a way to help. I looked up at the schedule and saw four more patients were to arrive in the next few minutes and I didn't want the first thing they see was me sprawled every direction across the floor. I'd had enough embarrassment for one day thanks, I didn't need to add teary sprawling in front of crowds to the list. Plus, did I mention I was in a knee length skirt this entire time? Fortunately I wear shorts under my skirts. Anyway, I managed to prop myself up and drag myself behind my desk where I sat with my ice pack, continually taking deep breaths and desperately trying not to cry. While this was all going on, the doctor was in with a new patient. He got out of the exam room and took the patient back for x-rays. When they were all finished, the doctor walked up to the front desk expecting me to be standing there to help the new patient schedule. He looked confused at my coworker when she stepped up to help instead since that wasn't her assigned job for the day. She pointed down behind the desk where I sat pathetically. He ran to me, gave me an exam and made sure the patella was set back correctly then proceeded to carry me to a bench in the kids room to rest - all while the new patient frantically asked "Is she okay?". Sigh. Whoa is me. Anyway, I'm doing great now. My knee isn't even swollen anymore. It's still very sore, but I've already regained mobility and my ROM is pretty fantastic. It's never healed this quick before and I tribute that to my coworker quickly grabbing me some ice, the doctor's adjustments and care, and Addison being just an absolute angel - making dinner, buying me my favorite paleo treats and helping me do the most simple tasks I couldn't for a couple days. I have the most amazing people in my life. Thank you everyone!
 And last, but not least, Addison did a flip demo at work and landed on his glasses this week.
Yup, the Addison glasses are toast. Much sadness. But just wait until you see the new ones we ordered! Addison's new look is going to be epic!

Lindsay: The week does have a happier ending. While sitting in church for fast and testimony meeting, I began to reflect on my testimony. Sometimes life feels like a never ending stream of trials. This week was bad, and in fact the past month or two have been pretty hard as well. But through it all, we are never alone. I was in a pretty dark place while I sat in a crumpled, pathetic heap on the floor writhing in pain. And, while it was embarrassing at the time, the doctor running over to help and carry me to a more comfortable place was just what I needed at that time, even though I didn't want to admit it and fought him on it. Trials are humbling experiences we sometimes need so God can help us. So don't let pride get in the way. Accept His help, trials or not. Maybe this was one of the lessons I needed to learn before moving cuz I'm sure chiro school will be no picnic, and if it is it will be a picnic on raft in a river of sharks. :)


1 comment:

  1. AH! Reading about your kneecap dislocation made me cringe! (Since I have been there). I am glad you healed quickly :)

    ReplyDelete